Having retired from the Department of English at the University of Bristol I am an independent scholar based in Oxford and London. These pages
describe some of my current and earlier projects.
Forthcoming essays and
- “Heaney and Hesiod”, in Seamus Heaney's Classics: Bann Valley Muses, ed. Stephen Harrison, Fiona Macintosh, and Helen Eastman (OUP, 2019), pp. 38-49
- “Ezra Pound's Ragbag: The Cantos
Cento Workshop, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, March 2020.
My web editions of Edward Lear's Journey in Greece and Albania in 1857 and Edward
Greek Journey in 1856 are now available.
A compendium site of all Lear's
journeys in "Greek lands" is under construction.
- the reception of Pindar in English poetry
- the idea of a national poet: C. Day Lewis and George Seferis.
Recent work includes:
as Inscription: Ezra Pound to Ian Hamilton Finlay”,
Fleshing Out Words, University of Warwick, March 2019
- “I sailed never with Cadmus: Modernism’s Thebes”, Classical Association Conference, Leicester, April 2018
and Electric Light: Seamus Heaney’s Greece”, in Landscapes of Irish and Greek Poets, ed. Joanna Kruczkowska (Oxford: Lang, 2018)
- (with Rose Little) “‘In a Different Light’: Imagining Greece
in Elizabeth Taylor and Barbara Pym”, in Greece in British Women’s Literary Imagination 1913-2013, ed. Eleni Papargyriou et al. (Lang, 2017)
- “Betty Radice and the Survival of Classics”, in Women Classical Scholars: Unsealing the Fountain from the Renaissance
to Jacqueline de Romilly, ed. Rosie Wyles and Edith Hall (OUP, 2016)
Wreaths and Broken Statues: Ezra Pound, Commemoration and the Classical Text”, UCL, June 2015
- “William Rothenstein: The Artist as Reader”, Cartwright Hall, Bradford, March 2015
credere dignum est’: Crediting the Georgics from Browning to Hill”, UCL, April 2014
- “Joyce’s Greek”, Durham University, July 2013.
My background is in the Victorian period; on this website are details of my work on Robert Browning and Edward Lear.
Other research interests include:
To contact me click here.
Website maintained by: Rowena Fowler
Last updated: 13 June 2019